Download complete file: sc through years
SCHS THROUGH THE YEARS
(Doc: sc through years)
From the Trident of October 24, 1991
About Santa Cruz High. The first session of SCHS in 1878 was held at Mission Hill Grammar School and there were 4 graduates. All grades were taught there with the high school occupying the top floor.
The motto of the school: Sacrifice, Cooperation. Honor and Service.
In 1882 it hit an all time low of no graduates.
In 1913 the school burnt down.
Between 1913 and 1915 the school was rebuilt and classes started at the new building in 1916.
In 1924 the girls’ gym was added and carpentry and machine coursed were introduced.
Hi Tow Tong Men’s Honor Society was organized in 1910. The first initiation ceremonies were adopted embracing the sentiments of Confucius, Jesus and other world leaders to emphasize the thought that leadership ability carries with it the responsibility to serve.
The Girls Honor Society (GHS) was formed in 1922. In 1989 the name was changed to the Women’s Honor Society (WHS). Other organizations that have lasted through the years include the Girls Athletic Association (GAA); 1910 Band; Drama 1912; Art Club 1926.
Turner Gym was dedicated to Pearl Turner the only female student to die in World War One, was demolished in 1972. It was located where the snack bar is and between the football bleachers and the new swimming pool. The current “Fehliman” Gym was finished in 1977. It was dedicated to “Doc” Fehliman, a long time SCHS teacher, who gave much to his students and alumni. He was instrumental in building the Alumni office next to the gym and it being one of the few active ongoing high school Alumni offices in the nation.
The original high school was destroyed in a fire on the night of October 1, 1913. The cause of the fire was never determined but was first seen in the chemistry rooms. During the rebuilding of the school, students attended half day sessions at Bay View and Mission Hill Schools.
The first building specifically for a high school was built in 1895 at California and Walnut streets where the current high school stands today.
The first issue of the Trident was published in 1906.
The eleven Black Walnut trees that border the football field were planted in 1924 to honor the eleven SCH students who died in World War One. Ever wonder why it’s called Memorial Field.”?
Zusa Pitts, class of 1913, became a Hollywood comedienne in the 1920’s.
Ernest Hemingway’s character Robert Jordan in “For Whom The Bell Tolls’ was based in part on Robert Hale Merriman, a SC graduate in the 1920’s whom he met during the Spanish Civil War.
During the 1940’s, requirements for boys PE classes consisted of a rigorous obstacle course including a 20 foot rope climb, a running broad jump of 16 feet, 16 pull ups, 40 push ups and they must carry a person of their own weight for 100 yards. Girls were required to perform conditioning exercises for correcting posture and learn first aid. (the purpose was to get students ready for the strenuous training when they went into the military during World War Two in the early 1940’s. After the war, students complained about not needing such stringent work outs, since there was no need for them to get ready for the service. The principal told the PE department to tone down the requirements)
Corny Bumpus, class of 1964, played saxophone for the SCH band and went on to join the Doobie Brothers.
Larry Griffin, class of 1965, played for the Harlem Globetrotters for several years. He held the broad jump record until 1989, when it was broken by Mike Jones.
Al Marshall, class of 1968, spent five years playing football for the Denver Broncos.
Glenallen Hill, class of 1983, is playing for the Cleveland Indians in the MLB.
Johnny Johnson, class of 1986. Now is a halfback for the Phoenix Cardinals and made it to the Pro Bowl in his first season of professional football.